5 Great Things To Do at a Great Park (Before Summer Slips You By!)
As the summer rapidly approaches the season of fall, many are looking for more fun, memory-making experiences. Why not visit a Great Park and jump into activities in nature? Here are just 5 of the abundant options awaiting you. Can you do all five before winter and one of the bonus activities?
1. Take a Hike | With 78 miles of trails to explore, take your pick! You can choose more rugged, meandering paths through woodlands; paved, multi-use paths; and even fitness paths with workout equipment spaced along the way. See all our trails.
Can’t pick one? Try the Tallgrass Prairie Trail at Miami Whitewater Forest! This 0.6-mile hike winds through forest and then a prairie, offering both flat and hilly walking as well as a bridge over a creek.
2. Take a Boat Ride – Rent a boat of your choice. Make it a family adventure on a pontoon, a rowboat ride to do a bit of fishing, a pedal boat ride with friends or take advantage of one of our two accessible kayak and canoe launches. Great Parks has a lake for you – learn about all our boating options.
3. Throw a Disc – All ages can enjoy this together! You can even purchase discs of all types and weights at several of our visitor centers and at Winton Woods Boathouse. Great Parks has four courses:
4. Take Your Pooch to the Dog Park – Shake it up a bit and take your furry dog friend to the park to play…off-leash! Pups can socialize, run and even just relax in the shade with their human companions. Learn about our dog parks.
5. Lawn Bowl, Golf, Paddle & Putt-Putt – In one day, at Little Miami Golf Center, you can do all four of these activities … and even take a bike ride on the Little Miami Scenic Trail. Definitely a day full of something for everyone outdoors!
And, here is Bonus 6: Organized programs – in-person or virtual! Here are some ideas – go to our calendar to see all our programs and events!
2021 Trek and Run Trail Challenge: Join our virtual community to gain tips, enjoy online support and spark new friendships! Work to complete seven Great Parks trails, or aim for 50 miles or 14 participating parks before November 1, and you’ll be entered into our raffle.
Stand-Up Paddleboard Basics: Flatwater: Have you ever paddled … while standing up? Our certified American Canoe Association stand-up paddleboard instructors are now hosting classes for beginners.
Stew Crew: Join our team of hardy volunteers to help make our trails and conservation areas sparkle, and learn about invasive species, trail management and sustainability while you’re at it!
Horseback Riding: Head out to the Winton Woods Riding Center to learn a new skill! We have horseback riding lessons for beginners through advanced riders.
Naturally Fit Virtual Fitness Series: Join a MovNat-Certified Trainer for this virtual six-week series and learn how to move efficiently and naturally in the great outdoors. Improve your health, train for a race, or simply enjoy moving outside.
Once you have finished all five and that bonus, what other discoveries can you make at Great Parks? Can you suggest five activities and even a bonus one to share with us on Facebook and Instagram? Pictures and stories are welcome to help show there is something for everyone outdoors.
East Region Guest Experiences Manager